Day 180 – 3rd Attempt: Trying Intermittent Fasting
This now marks my third attempt at starting my weight loss transformation. I could probably make up a ton of excuses. Not going to do that. The real truth is that the motivation has been lacking. I see losing 60 pounds as a pretty big mountain to climb. I lose sight of the fact that it is not ’180 days’ at a time, but one.
For my restart I am trying ‘intermittent fasting’. The principal is to reduce caloric intake by reducing the time frame in which you can eat. The general layout I’m using is:
- ~6:30am to ~12:30pm: Fasting – water only
- 12:30-1pm: Eat lunch – focus on eating slowly, not overeating, and protein intake. Should intake 30-40% of my daily caloric intake
- 1pm-5pm: Fasting – water only
- 5pm-6pm: Eat supper – same focus as lunch
- 6pm-9pm: Snack if needed, no food after 9pm
Basically it looks like I am skipping breakfast (which is true). Plenty of people do this daily. The trick is to focus on not overeating when meal time does come. This is not just ‘shuffling’ calories to a different time of day. It is about forcing fat loss during the fasted state and then being careful not to binge and negate it later in the day.
I started my intermittent fast. I made it from 9pm the night prior to 12:30 before lunch.
- Breakfast: Fasted
- Lunch: 840 Calories – I had a slice of leftover pizza and half of my wife’s Subway BMT.
- Dinner: 503 Calories – Turkey Sandwhich, Cottage cheese
- Evening Snack: 380 Calories – Leftover Pastaroni and a deer stick
- Daily total: 1723 Calories
My goal is to stay around 1800 Calories on days where I don’t workout. I will add another 150-200 on days I do. For exercise, I am trying out a workout on DailyBurn.com. I had used Fitday.com a few years ago to track my results. It worked great for me at the time. I suggest you check them both out. What I am liking ab out DailyBurn is the built in workout plans that are setup. It is kind of like a simple personal trainer. I am excited about just doing what I am told.